Grilled Asparagus with Misobutter, Poached Egg and Togarashi
Miso, a staple ingredient in Japanese cuisine, is so versatile it can be used in any kitchen. Usually made of fermented rice, soy and grains, it has a complex flavour that is both sweet and savoury. It is a perfect addition to grilled asparagus.
Prepare Miso Butter
- Use butter at room temperature. Combine with the miso and mix thoroughly. Season with pepper.
Prepare Asparagus and Eggs
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus and then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Heat a griddle pan. Baste the asparagus with Miso butter , season with salt and grill on both sides until tender, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Bring a wide, shallow pot of water to the boil, add a splash of vinegar and poach the eggs for 3 minutes, drain with a slotted spoon. If not serving immediately hold in a cold water bath.
- Divide the asparagus over the plates.
- Top the vegetables with a poached egg (if not served right away reheat for 10 seconds in simmering water) and miso butter. Garnish the plates with shiso leaves and sprinkle with togarashi and Maldon salt flakes.